Monday, September 24, 2007

New terms in new media art

while researching on Ken Goldberg and Natalie Bookchin for my paper.I came across two interesting terms that relate to their work.

Telepistemology -Ken Goldberg
" the study of the nature of knowledge gained through remote, mediated sources such as the internet. " This refers to his project telegarden in which gardeners around the world are given the chance to tend to living plants by watering and feeding them via the web, using an industrial robotic arm .

Telepresence - Ken Goldberg and Natalie Bookchin
"being present in a place where we may not physically be present". this term was used by Goldberg in one of his books but it applies to both his work as well as Bookchins. I'll be presenting my paper next week so I'll touch on this. but here is in example
" when I'm reading a book I can get transported, and so I'm present in the middle ages, or when i'm watching a film, I become so engrossed in that I'm completely unaware of my environment even if i'm sitting in an uncomfortable chair."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home